I pledge allegiance..
Yesterday, for the first time since, oh, probably September, I remembered to say the pledge with my kids. Most of the people who read this probably know that I've never been much of a "patriot", and may find the idea of me leading 20 six and seven year olds in the pledge mildly amusing. You see, back in my f*** the government, punk rock mentality days, I had a pretty strong anti-America mindset that I have, mostly, grown out of. I no longer attempt to hang American flags upside down just to get a rise out of Sherry, though I do still roll my eyes at "God bless America" bumper stickers. I am grateful for the freedoms I have as an American, although I do not subscribe to an "America-Can-Do-No-Wrong" belief system.
That said, it suddenly occurred to me that my students should get off their duffs and say the pledge. After we promised our undying allegiance to America, we sat down and I asked my students if they knew what the words "liberty" and "justice" meant. After a brief, impromptu talk about freedom and fairness, I was ready to move on. That's when one of my students raised his hand and announced, "I know what under God means, too!” Although I knew it was a road I didn’t particularly want to travel, he was so loud that I couldn't pretend that I hadn’t heard him. Sigh. So, I asked him, "What do you think it means?” He replied, "It means that God is in your heart. And he wants you to do the right thing. He helps you be better" (and, here's the best part, I think),"If you don't listen to him, he flies out of your heart and into someone else's". "Yeah," chimed in another student, in complete earnestness, "He wants you to live a better life. He wants you to do the right thing. And he doesn't want you to be poor".

3 Comments:
ok, so I totally have no idea who you are, except that I got here from Sherry's blog. We went to CBU together. Anyway, wow. Seriously? A 6 year old said that? I mean, I know its true but it still boggles the mind at a) the God flying out of your heart comment and b) the God doesn't want you poor thing. It is a testament to the hell we live in and the twisted views our communities have of God and His goodness. Oh and for the record, I would totally rock my flag up-side-down.
I'm not sure who you are either. I just liked reading your posts, so I linked you.
See you tonight?
I enjoyed reading this post, by the way. I just couldn't figure out what to say. I'm not exactly the most patriotic person, either. I think Girl Scouts made me concerned about the flag; I'm surprised you escaped.
Kimberly and I were just wishing that you would blog again some day. Kim, in fact, has mentioned it several times. It goes something like, "I wish Jessica would update her blog! Sherry, Why doesn't she blog anymore?" That may be a direct quote.
Post a Comment
<< Home