an old abandoned church with broken pews and empty aisles

Friday, March 23, 2007

How to regain control of your first grade classroom

1. First thing in the morning, sit them in a circle. Act very sad and distant. Be aloof.
2. In an uncharacteristically quiet voice, tell them that something (long pause) has happened that is not OK (insert another uncomfortable pause here). "Some students"(deep, purposeful stare at guilty parties) "have decided that they have their own set of rules and don't have to follow the same rules as everyone else".
3. Proceed with the "I am the teacher, you are the student. If I tell you to come to the carpet, I mean now. Not whenever you are finished with your project or done talking to your friend. I mean NOW. As in now".
4. Remind them that they don't get to question your judgment. You do, afterall, have a plan that they maybe, just maybe, have not yet been privy to.
5. Point out that you have already passed first grade, and none of them have. As of yet. I usually say something along the lines of, "you can't even drive a car. Or use an ATM card. You are lucky someone gave you a library card".

If your first grade class is out of control, try these tips. You just may find yourself back in the driver's seat.

1 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagining you say these things is very funny to me. You're so cute. I'm glad to hear that you're back in control:)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home