In my classroom, my students have been learning to create mental images while listening to a text. I have been reading stories and poems to them while they sit with their eyes closed, picturing the scenes in their minds to record later. Yesterday, after reading a poem about a dolphin and a poem about a raccoon, I sent my students back to their desks to illustrate their images. Logan stopped me and looked up at me with his huge blue eyes. I thought he was about to ask me for help or for a drink of water, but instead he said, very seriously, "I saw a beautiful scene for you! I wanted to take a picture of it, but my mom didn't have a camera with her. The sun was setting and there were trees with no leaves and, and, it was beautiful...". This is the same student who told me, "Teacher, you are beautiful in my heart". To know that he was outside of my classroom and saw a beautiful image and somehow connected it to me touched me profoundly. I'm not sure if it was the art lesson on bare trees, the picture of a sunset I have up on the board, our practice with mental images, or something totally beyond me, but he saw something beautiful and wanted to capture it for me. Amazing.

2 Comments:
Aww. How wonderful! I love you!
What a freaking sweet kid.
Post a Comment
<< Home