an old abandoned church with broken pews and empty aisles

Monday, January 01, 2007

While taking a much overdue stroll around Tyler's blog, I found this:


The rules are:
1. Grab the nearest book.
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the text of the next four sentences on your blog (or my comments), along with these instructions.
5. Don’t you dare dig for that “cool” or “intellectual” book in your
closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is
closest!


They were more interested in suggesting the shapes of objects than in painting very clear outlines of the objects.
The actual color of an object (its local color) changes as the light on it changes. A green leaf catching the rays of the morning sun may appear more yellow; at noon on an overcast day it may appear more gray; and then, in the light of the setting sun, it may take on an orange or reddish hue. The impressionists wanted to capture this light and its effects on objects – “To break up the ray of light, to catch its vibrancy in the air, to follow it as it glides around objects enveloping them with color” (Courthion 1997, p.12).

The closest book to me was Teaching Art with Books Kids Love. Sherry gave it to me for Christmas, and I am really excited to start doing more art with my students. I want to teach them art with purpose; I don't want to do cutesy crafts with them once a month and pretend that they're getting genuine instruction in the arts. So... now I have somewhere to start :-).

2 Comments:

At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn. I'm good.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Pete said...

Mine is kind of cool. Sounds like i'm reading Christian literature but it's a book called "The Rule of Four."

"All of us - we of faith and we who lack it - are too accustomed to the sign of the cross to understand the significance of the crucifix."

It continues: "But religion, Christianity in particular, has always been the story of death in the midst of life, of sacrifices and martyrs."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home