an old abandoned church with broken pews and empty aisles

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

a beautifully strange day

On the way to work, I decided to listen to the comedy album Akemi gave me for my birthday. Sitting in pockets of traffic, I laughed so hard that my eyes watered and tears streamed endlessly down my face. If anyone bothered to look my way, they probably would have thought that I was a raving lunatic, but I didn't care. (It's taken me awhile to "get it", but I'm starting to realize that people pay way less attention to me than I imagine they do). I listened all the way to Castro Valley, thankful that tears of laughter take much less time to fade from one's face than tears of the other sort (with my swollen eyes and red, blotchy skin, I have never been a "pretty" crier). I went into Peet's, where my favorite barista greeted me with, "Hey, Jessica!". I ordered my drink (and an iced lemon curd scone - I am so bad at this whole "wedding diet"). As I was walked to my car, I began to worry again that the parking spot I was in really was a handicapped spot. Although the telltale blue and white icon is faded, and there is no posted sign, and the neighboring lines have been painted and repainted, AND there is a more recent 20 minute green parking zone painted on the curb, I have always been wary of this particular spot. Usually, I go out of my way to avoid it, but today, I didn't. Holding my keys protectively, I imagined someone seeing me get into my car and yelling, "That's a handicapped spot, you insensitive bitch!" I held my coffee, with my pastry bag swinging in my other hand, and imagined the sheer mortification of someone confronting me. Would he/she let me explain? What would I say? I was consumed by these thoughts as I continued to walk towards my car. Vaguely, I noticed that a man in neighboring car began to open his door. After I passed his car, and unlocked mine, he asked me,"Do you need a husband?" To which I replied, after a pause, "Um, no...?". He shook his head. "Oh darn! Because I could marry you this minute! You have a nice day!". I smiled at him, and responded, "Thank you!". I think he was probably crazy, but it still made me smile.

Today at recess, one of my former students told Vicki, "Look at me! I can run with no hands!" Then he proceeded to run with his arms pinned at his side.

Sometimes, I love this crazy life.

4 Comments:

At 5:04 PM, Blogger sherry said...

What an ass. It's not a handicapped spot unless it has a sign on a pole. What an ass. Wait, did I already say that? You were totally right, and I hate that guy.

I'm glad to hear that other parts of your day were beautiful.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

Wait wait. You do realize that no one actually said anything to me about the parking spot, right? And I actually enjoyed the marriage proposal. It's not often that I get hit on. I'm marrying the last male who hit on me... like... 3 years ago!

 
At 10:41 PM, Blogger sherry said...

I missed "imagined" twice. I suck at life.

 
At 2:19 AM, Blogger Kimberly said...

:) I could picture the entire scene.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home