Blessings
Some events occurred today that warmed my heart, and I wanted to share them. First, I was greeted in line by one of my students, a sweet little girl who speaks almost no English. She and her mother were holding a bouquet of purple carnations for me. My student stepped forward and gave them to me, smiling her sweet, shy smile. It melted my heart. The first week or two of school, she cried almost every day. Now, she doesn't cry, and sometimes, I can get her to smile. It's funny that I can have such a special place in my heart for a child with whom I cannot communicate freely.
Next, as my children were filing into the classroom, another student pulled me aside and held out a little plastic baggie. Inside were two hoop earrings, decorated with shells and pink beads. She looked up at me and said, "I made these for you." This is the little girl who used to look at me like a martian, and who never had a word to say to me. Now, we talk about karate, and she tells me that I am the "bestest teacher ever", in her serious, stern little way.
Lastly, one of my rowdier boys took my hand in his little hand, looked up at me with his big blue eyes, and said, "Teacher, you're nice. You're the, you're the only teacher I've ever had". Then he took my hand and kissed it. Needless to say, I was shocked. I prompted him, "what about Kindergarten?" To which he responded, "That was a really long time ago...".

1 Comments:
wow, these kids must really like you. when I liked my teachers that age, all I did for them was try not to pee my pants in class.
j/k. sometimes you can't hold it.
j/k again. I loved my first grade teacher. She us all books at Christmas (because "books are gifts that keep on giving" as she inscribed inside the front cover), and I still remember that.
just so the record is clear, I'm a dry-pants hero since 1-9-9-0 (you have to say the numbers separately for it to rhyme).
Post a Comment
<< Home