an old abandoned church with broken pews and empty aisles

Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Ramblings

This morning I walked the vineyards near my house, as I often do. Because I was alone, I decided to use it as a time of prayer. I spent a good amount of time praying for people that I know, for the salvation of various family members, and for my own spiritual growth. I spent time praising God for the many blessings in my life and the beauty of the world before me as I plodded along the gravel roads. And then I prayed that the internal voice inside my head would turn off for awhile so that I could just listen. I probably asked about a dozen different ways because, not surprisingly, the voice wouldn't cease. I asked that God would keep me from day dreaming or getting distracted by everything around me. Then, in my head, I started singing "Oh Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth...". For the life of me, I couldn't stop the constant internal chatter. I don't know how to listen to my Maker; I only know how to praise Him and how to make requests. I wasn't waiting for the voice inside my head to switch from my voice to the voice of, say, Andy Rooney, but I was hoping for something.

As I continued on my walk, feeling the wind rush against my face and seeing more weeds, trees, and flowers that I could count, I started thinking about the time I spent working at Alden Lane (a local plant nursery). I loved the physical work; being scratched by hundreds of boxed roses as I maneuvered around them, filling their containers with life-sustaining water. Feeling the gravel crunch under my shoes. Collapsing into bed with sore muscles and exhausted feet. I loved the feeling of purpose; of using my body to serve. I couldn't take credit for the beauty of the plants I maintained, but I was able to find enjoyment in knowing that I had helped sustain them. It's a lot like teaching in that aspect; I can't take credit for the lives that come into my classroom - they belong entirely to the Lord. But I can serve them and watch them grow and find enjoyment in knowing that I've played a part in shaping them and serving them. Cheesy as they may be, those are the thoughts I ended with on my walk.

5 Comments:

At 6:47 PM, Blogger Ms. McGowan said...

Beautiful metaphor. Let's go somewhere and do something outside this weekend (even if it's just a walk). I don't see the sunshine much these days. I love you!

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

yes, lets.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Pete said...

I like this post Jessica. Cool.

By the way....i may have had some bad ideas the other night with the whole quiz thing......I didn't realize that this was how you looked at it. Don't ask your students which of their parents has a terminal illness and then punish the one who's parent has the longest to live. After some contemplation i've come to the conclusion that doing that is not a good way to sustain those little roses...

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Ms. McGowan said...

Attention Parents, Aunts and Uncles, Older Siblings, and Grandparents: Shelter the children in your life from Pieter. He may do some serious damage. Just kidding Pieter, I'm sure you'll be an excellent daddy. Just stay away from Jessica's students.

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

i'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home