an old abandoned church with broken pews and empty aisles

Monday, January 24, 2005

do you ever wish that sometimes you could freeze-frame a single moment in your day, look at it and say, "this is not my life"?


Posted by Hello

Sometimes, after a particularly nasty storm, there is a moment in which the sun finally breaks through and asserts its brilliance over a dark and dismal world in such a way that it takes my breath away. As much as I love the rain, nothing compares to the feeling I get as I watch the sun break through the clouds and shine its light into the darkness. As I look at the sky, I’m reminded that the sun isn’t a late arrival or a newcomer on the scene – it was there the whole time, even though I couldn’t see it or feel its warmth.

If the chapters of my life had titles, I think this present chapter would be called “emerging from the storm”, or, perhaps “awakening from a dream”. I’m not entirely good as new just yet, but I can sense the mending and the desire within me to return to genuine fellowship with my Maker; to live a life of righteousness and holiness (as opposed to a façade of goodness). As I make commitments to changing and absolving relationships that hindered my growth, I can feel my heart awaken and I can sense the gradual removal of its calluses. I can feel the warmth of the sun that, although I always knew was there, I had ceased to feel and to sense above the clouds. I look forward to the time when I can freeze frame any minute of my day and say, without shame, "this is my life".

3 Comments:

At 9:36 PM, Blogger Ms. McGowan said...

Absolutely beautiful. Thank you. I love that God is taking us on similar journeys (in totally different ways)...it makes our friendship all the more significant. What an amazing mental picture (and actual picture!)...God is so faithful to show us glimpses of the sun, again. I thought my grey days were becoming permanent, but He's proving Himself faithful. Oh, to revel in his rays!!! I'm glad that we're learning to re-revel together. I love you more than you'll ever know, my fellow journeyer.

 
At 2:50 AM, Blogger Pete said...

Personally Jessica, i feel that your blog is highly underrated and you need more comments. PUB BUDDY!!!! WOOOO!! OIHFOIG:ODIJNSNVIOSNJG)W*$EUG$( <-----that's icelandic for "you rule the school"

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger Ms. McGowan said...

I totally agree, Pete- especially with this last post. I second Pete's icelandic phrase. Oh, I hope nobody from Iceland reads this. Disaster.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home