an old abandoned church with broken pews and empty aisles

Tuesday, January 11, 2005

I'm not sure what's happening to people lately, but I'm noticing a disturbing trend of dating, romance, and, dare I say, love fixation. I honestly think everyone around me has gone temporarily bonkers. I've been officially single for... 4 days now, I think (I stopped to count that on my fingers, which makes me smile) and really... I'm a little bit relieved and even thankful for the chance to take a break. It's not that I don't believe in love, because really, I think it's an amazing thing. I guess what has been irking me the most with all of this “you have to meet my cousin’s best friend’s brother’s barber” talk is an assumption that well meaning people are making in constantly hounding single people to find someone (anyone!): that marriage is the surefire way to completion and fulfillment for all. Now, before you label me a fem-Nazi, please hear where I'm coming from. I think the prospect of sharing my life with someone is wonderful. I love the thought of meeting someone who complements me and who, in turn, I complement as well. Someone whose strengths cover my weakness and whose weakness are met by my strengths. I've been lucky enough to witness marriages that are built on an awesome partnership in ministry that works around this concept: two people who God works through, as an entity, to accomplish amazing things. It's beautiful. I would love to have a husband who has a heart for youth ministry because that's where my heart is. I want someone who is as passionate as I am about simply hanging out with kids, acting goofy with them, crying with them, and sharing a love for God with them that will impact their walk with the Lord for eternity. Just thinking about it gets me excited and words evade me as I try to do justice to the blessing that marriage can be.

That said, I love that God also uses single people to accomplish amazing things. Sometimes I think about how much more available I was to the youth that I worked with during times of singleness. Not having a husband and family of my own allowed me to give freely of my time, my finances, and my energy. It seems, so often, that even in the Christian community, long-term singleness is still associated with the undesirable, the unlovable, the rejected. I never wanted to be single when I grew up because I knew people would assume that I couldn't find somebody to marry me. How sad is that? Really, it's not like finding someone to marry you is all that hard… there’s always someone out there who is desperate enough, it seems ;-). Most of the people I know that are married I certainly wouldn’t marry, but they found someone who would, and good for them. (I’m really hoping that my playful mood is apparent as I write this). As I’ve gotten older, I’ve come to understand Paul’s take on singleness: for many it’s not just what happens when no one shows up to sweep them off their feet but, rather, a worthy calling.

Something else I’ve been pondering lately is why so many people are quick to assume that lack of a significant other is the biggest problem in the life of a single? Instead of asking me if I’m seeing anyone, ask me when the last time I read my Bible was. Ask me how my walk with the Lord is going. Maybe there are bigger fish to fry in my life than lack of a “boo”.

All of this to say: Wanna go out Friday night?

7 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Ms. McGowan said...

Ha. You know my feelings on this one. I hope you also know that my teasing about you hooking up with my friend is all in good fun. Believe me, I know what it's like to want to yell, "enough already!" When you mention the "unlovables" how can we not bring to mind the Wedding Singer:) I know that we will that never bemthe single people sitting at the loser table. If we are single, we will be the ones enjoying every last minute of life being single. All of our married friends will learn to be envious:) And then, if some brave men decide that they want to marry us, and we actually agree with these guys, it will take us off gaurd and be a beautiful surprise. I'm proud to say that marriage isn't the most important thing in my life and I definitely have no intention to settle.

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

Oh Ducky, I love your comment... enough to print it out and tape it on my mirror (if I had one).

I honestly didn't have your hook-up attempts in mind when I wrote this... those I don't mind ;-), as you have pretty good taste in boys. I was thinking more about your situation, in additon to others. I don't know if I'm focusing more on the issue, or if everyone really does have love on the brain more than usual. Whatever the case, I think I'll sit back and enjoy the chaos because, at the moment, no one is trying to marry me off :-).

 
At 3:54 PM, Blogger Pete said...

I think i'll be single too perhaps and we can all move to Seattle....

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger Ms. McGowan said...

Seattle here we come! I'll E-mail Tyler and invite him right now:)

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Jessica said...

i like that idea. i even have an umbrella already!

 
At 12:56 AM, Blogger Pete said...

Jessica....did you like part two of the boy's story? I'm only goign to keep the story going if the demand is there. So i demand comments!




plus i like the feeling it gives me when i see them in my email

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Ms. McGowan said...

Just so you know, I think you're cool and I'm glad you're my friend. And, you're stinkin' hilarious. Oh how I wish Jessica would post something new. My compulsive blog checking is so much more lame when there's nothing new to read. Hee hee. I'm excited that you're coming with me to River-city- I couldn't think of a more wonderful road-trip companion! Watch out so-cal the Bay Area hippies are on their way!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home